Trampolines are very expensive. There are many cases where we can find that the trampoline has blown away and been damaged permanently by heavy wind.
Usually, this only occurs under extreme conditions. To prevent a trampoline from blowing away, every owner needs to know how to maintain it.
Trampolines can be anchored in the ground in several ways. To make it most convenient you can use trampoline anchor kits. It needs to be strategically anchored to protect it from 40-50 mph winds. You can anchor it properly by using sandbags or concrete.
To ensure that the trampoline is always properly secured, it is also essential to regularly inspect the trampoline and its attachments. Repairs and replacements should be made whenever necessary to ensure its safety. Hope this article will bring fruitful results to those who are very worried about this particular topic.
How to keep trampoline from blowing away?
As we mentioned above, trampolines are very expensive. Therefore, it is always treated with great care. But when it comes in contact with heavy wind, it acts as a sail and blows away with the heavy wind. So to save your investment, it is important to anchor it well in the ground and give it proper support.
Before placing the trampoline, you need to arrange the materials below
- Anchor kit or stakes
- Tie-down straps
- A mallet or hammer
- A measuring tape or ruler
Follow these steps accordingly.
- Step 1: First, you need to measure the distance between the legs of the trampoline. Depending upon these measurements you can estimate how many anchors or stakes you may need to properly anchor the trampoline to the ground.
- Step 2: Now mark the areas where you will attach the anchors or stakes. Please make sure that the chosen areas are flat. And there is no obstacle under these areas or there is no underground utility.
- Step 3: If you have decided to use anchor kits, you need to attach them to the legs of the trampoline. But before doing it it is necessary to read the manufacturer’s instructions properly.
- If you have decided to go with stakes, then take a mallet or hammer and start to ground them at a 45-degree angle. In this step, ensure you drive the stakes at the same level as the trampoline’s legs.
- Step 4: Now you need to use tie-down straps. It will give the frame more stability. Straps should be tight and there should be no slack in the line.
- Step 5: After anchors or stakes have been installed, use tie-down straps to secure the trampoline’s frame. Make sure each leg of the trampoline is securely anchored to the ground, then repeat this process on the other four legs.
- Step 6: You should regularly inspect and repair the trampoline and attachments to ensure they are always properly secured.
- You can also protect your trampoline from strong winds by using a cover
- When a storm is expected or high winds are predicted, make sure the trampoline is secured
- Consider disassembling the trampoline when there are frequent high winds or storms in your area.
If you follow these steps, you can ensure that your trampoline remains safe and stable, even during adverse weather conditions. Keep an eye on the trampoline and attachments regularly, and make any necessary repairs or replacements to ensure it’s always secure.
Alternative methods of securing trampoline in windy conditions
Keeping a trampoline secure in windy conditions will prevent heavy damage and ensure it does not blow away in the wind. In addition to trampoline anchor kits, alternative methods can also be used to secure trampolines.
Crocodile Trading’s Wide Arch Anchorage Set is made from galvanized steel. It comes with eight pins, making it a suitable alternative. For maximum security, the pins must be hammered into the ground. This method is more expensive than some anchor kits but is twice as secure.
You can also use sandbags placed over the trampoline’s legs. Trampoline anchor kits and wide arches would not work on concrete, so this is an economical option to keep a trampoline secure on concrete during storms. You can purchase empty sandbags online and fill them with sand locally.
However, even with these alternatives, removing the trampoline during extremely windy conditions is always advisable to prevent injury or damage. In addition to regularly inspecting the trampoline’s condition, ensuring all parts are tight and securely in place is also crucial.
Placing a trampoline on concrete is not recommended due to safety concerns. However, if necessary, you can secure it with sandbags. Any time you place a trampoline, it is good to consult an expert first for safety.
How to choose the right anchors and stakes for trampoline?
Several factors need to be taken into consideration when choosing anchors and stakes for a trampoline:
- Material: You should consider using anchors and stakes made of durable, weather-resistant materials such as galvanized steel.
- Size: Depending on the trampoline size, you will need to choose the size of the anchors and stakes. For proper guidance, you can check the manufacturer’s recommendations for the appropriate size of anchors and stakes for your trampoline.
- Types of anchors and stakes include screw-in anchors, auger anchors, and stake anchors. There are differences between the different types, so selecting the type most appropriate for your needs is wise.
- Brand: Select a brand with a reputable track record of producing high-quality anchors and stakes. You can get an idea of the performance of a product by reading reviews and testimonials from other customers.
- Compatibility: The anchors and stakes should be compatible with the model of your trampoline. Some anchor kits are specific to certain brands and models and may not be compatible with trampolines of other brands and models.
- Quantity: The number of anchors and stakes needed will depend on the size of the trampoline and the strength of the winds in your area. Ensure enough anchors and stakes to secure all corners of the trampoline.
The most important thing is to select anchors and stakes that are durable, appropriate for the size and weight of your trampoline, and compatible with the model of your trampoline.
How to check if the trampoline is properly secured or not?
To determine whether a trampoline is securely fastened, there are many ways to do so:
- Check the anchoring system: It is essential to ensure that the anchors and stakes are securely fastened to the trampoline and the ground. Make sure all components of the anchoring system are in proper working order.
- Check the trampoline frame: Verify that all bolts and nuts are tight and that the frame is securely fastened to the legs.
- Check the mat: It should fit tightly and not have wrinkles or sags.
- Check the enclosure net: Check that it is securely fastened to the frame and that there are no holes or tears in it.
- Check the wind conditions: Pay attention to the trampoline during windy conditions. Trampoline safety may not be properly maintained if it moves excessively or appears unstable in such conditions.
- Choose the correct location: Don’t place the trampoline in an area prone to strong winds.
frequently asked questions (fAQs)
What wind speed will lift a trampoline?
Trampolines generally blow away if the wind speed is over 40 mph.
Will sandbags hold down a trampoline?
If you want to make your trampoline more secure, place the sandbags onto its metal legs. If sandbags do not protect trampolines, they can bounce and shift position, which is unsafe. Every trampoline doesn’t need the support of sandbags, but it is always good to place them.
What is the best way to anchor a trampoline?
You should use anchor kits designed specifically for trampolines when anchoring a trampoline. Trampoline kits typically have stakes or anchors for securing the trampoline around its perimeter.
Several trampoline models also have built-in anchors to increase their stability. Before using the trampoline, follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for properly anchoring the trampoline.
How many sandbags will hold down a trampoline?
It will vary with the number of legs that the trampoline has. You will need 6 or 8 sandbags for your trampoline if it has 6 or 8 legs.
To prevent a trampoline from blowing away, it is essential to use anchor kits or built-in systems to anchor the trampoline to the ground and regularly inspect the anchors’ tightness. It is also recommended to place the trampoline in an area protected from strong winds.